Fluid Mask - Business Case
Fluid Mask can pay for itself in just 40 cut-outs. Test
We tested the Fluid Mask cut-out plug-in against most cut-out methodologies using a selection of images. We didn't include images which others can't handle (such as complex lattices). The tester is a graphic artist with 15 years' experience and is proficient in all cut-out methodologies.
We found that:
- On simple images consisting of sharp edges and contrasting backgrounds, Fluid Mask was on average 50% faster than using other methodologies.
- On hard images involving defocused edges / hair but contrasting backgrounds, Fluid Mask was approximately 3x faster.
- On hard images with easy edges but similar foregrounds and backgrounds, Fluid Mask was 4x faster.
- On very hard images involving hair / defocused edges and similar foregrounds and backgrounds, Fluid Mask was 6x faster.
We concluded that across a wide range of use cases Fluid Mask was at least 3x faster than using alternative methodologies.
We also concluded that Fluid Mask pays for itself in one job if the task is to cut out complex lattices such as bicycles, vegetation, hair, fur, arials...
How quickly will Fluid Mask pay for itself for "normal" images?
Firstly, there is no such thing as a normal image! But making the following assumptions:
Fluid Mask is 3x faster
The average cut out (not using Fluid Mask) takes 1/2 an hour
A graphic designer costs $40 per hour all in
We can draw the following "back of the envelope" calculations:
These bald numbers do not include the benefits of:
- Enhanced cut-out happiness using our satisfying tool!
- Discovering a wider universe of images to be cut out
- Great effects..